Helios - Open Source, low cost DAC

General do-it-yourself-projects of all kind.
Antworten
Grixm
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Yes

Helios - Open Source, low cost DAC

Beitrag von Grixm » So 02 Okt, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi,
I'd like to share my newest project: Helios Laser DAC. It's an USB to ILDA DAC, with fully open source hardware and software. It's low cost but still powerful with good specs: 12bit XY channels, 8bit RGBI channels, up to 65+ kpps, up to 4000+ max points in frames, plug and play automatic driver installation, aluminium enclosure etc.

http://pages.bitlasers.com/helios/

I've prepared a batch and will be selling them for $79.90 each. I think that makes it the cheapest full color ILDA DAC available right now. Even cheaper than a sound card and correction amp! I'm hardly making money on these really :)

It currently supports LasershowGen natively of course, but the drivers are built to be compatible with cfavreau's Open Laser Show Controller API, so by renaming and replacing a DLL file, it is already supported by several third party programs, including Dr Lava's LaserShow Xpress (actually I have only tested it with ILD SOS because I don't own LSX but I believe they use the same device interfacing system, right?).
I will be contacting various other developers soon too, in hope that it will be supported by even more software. If you're a developer reading this, post in this thread or PM me if you are interested, or just go straight to the github repo: https://github.com/Grix/helios_dac

The device uses the open source libusb library for USB connectivity, which supports many platforms including Mac and Linux. I haven't built binaries for these environments yet, only windows, but I will soon, if no one else does first.

Bild

moritzs
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Laserworld CS-1000RGB

Re: Helios - Open Source, low cost DAC

Beitrag von moritzs » Mo 24 Jul, 2017 6:11 pm

This is amazing! I wonder, how nobody responded to such great news yet.
Are there any Linux experiences yet?

Best

Grixm

Beitrag von Grixm » So 06 Aug, 2017 2:27 pm

moritzs hat geschrieben:
Mo 24 Jul, 2017 6:11 pm
This is amazing! I wonder, how nobody responded to such great news yet.
Are there any Linux experiences yet?

Best
Thanks for the positive response :)

Yes, I know of at least one guy that is using it on Linux.

I have plans on eventually releasing my software LaserShowGen on Linux too, then this dac will of course be supported.

VDX
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: ... diverse Laser für die Materialbearbeitung

weitere Hobbies: - CNC-Fräsen, 3D-Scannen, 3D-Drucken, Laserbearbeitung, Mikrotechnik ...

Beitrag von VDX » So 06 Aug, 2017 6:46 pm

... thumbs up!!

Have some friends on the DIY-lasergalvo-route, changing for Linux ;)

Viktor
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426 -- Facebook-Gruppe - https://www.facebook.com/groups/383822522290730
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

mikewdev
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Yes.

Beitrag von mikewdev » Mo 14 Mai, 2018 7:21 am

Hi everyone, I know I'm late to the show, but did you all have any luck using this with Linux?

It's a great product! I'm super impressed with the design (very logically and cleanly done), but I haven't gotten it to work with Linux yet. I'm using Ubuntu 64 bit and getting compiler errors about misplaced source files (not external dependencies but definitions and such in project files which are obviously present at the specified paths).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

georgmueller
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: yes

Beitrag von georgmueller » Sa 19 Mai, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi,

I'm also looking for Linux applications (at least one ^^) for using the Helios DAC. We already have the DAC, but I can not find any software to use it with my OS. I just find software libs, but no applications. On the Helios project website are just references for Windows and Mac OS applications. I would like to use our Helios DAC for laser shows. I would also buy two/three more DACs, if there would be a software, which is working on Linux. What one has to do to motivate you developing a linux version of LaserShowGen?

Could you give me any advise, how I could do it?

I would like to say, that starting from scratch (programming something own) seams not easy, because the documentation has big potential to become better. I would be also very thankful for links to docs, how to start writing own laser applications using the interface.

Greetings
Georg

Neutrogen131313
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Tarm Two, KVANT Atom 20 FB4 20Watt Projektor, 10Watt Projektor Eigenbau, Pangolin Beyond 3 Software, ET8000 Eyemagic Scanner, 589nm Yellow 0.7watt DPSS, 457nm Blue 2watt DPSS,660nm Red 1watt DPSS, 2x RGB 4watt, 532nm Green 700mw DPSS, Orange 593.5nm 80mw DPSS, 10Watt OEM RGB Modul, 589nm Yellow CNI OEM-W 2Watt DPSS, 604nm Orange-Rot CNI OEM-W 1,8Watt DPSS, DT-50 Scanners, 638nm RED 2Watt OEM-Modul, 450nm 7watt OEM-Modul, 5Watt 808nm Modul, div CNI-Laser Equipment, Optisches Breadboard von Thorlabs...usw.

Beitrag von Neutrogen131313 » So 20 Mai, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi there,

Wow very very intressting if you got libs for Linux i will buy two from this DAC´s.

kindly regards

Rolf

Grixm

Beitrag von Grixm » So 15 Jul, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi, sorry for super late reply, I don't browse this forum very often.

The DAC does work on Linux. The libraries on github should work, but you might need root access or setting up usb udev rules.

I will look at the current state of the github and try to test it myself on linux to see if something is wrong.
EDIT: I check and it seems to work for me. You can compile library for linux by following the commands in the git readme: https://github.com/Grix/helios_dac#developer-guide
There are some documentation in the header files in the sdk folder, and example apps in python and c++: https://github.com/Grix/helios_dac/tree ... k/examples

As for LaserShowGen, I have always wanted to make a linux version, but there is some problems with the engine I am using. I could work around it but it would be some work, maybe I will do it.

Strelok401
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: ... a laser pointer to annoy the cat?

Beitrag von Strelok401 » Fr 27 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm

Nice piece of kit, I have a couple questions about it though :
-Can it be used for "small" laser shows, for parties with less than 30 people? Doing laser shows isn't my job, I'd just like to be able to do that in my future holiday house should I host a party for my family. More precisely, I'm planning to buy said house in Greece this autumn or winter, and my son's wedding will be next year, so...
-If I got things right, you control it from a PC. Is it safe if I do it from afar (as in, my son and his friends are at the house while I'm somewhere else) through a PC remote control program like Teamviewer?
-Would laser shows even be a safe thing to do in the main room of that house : https://tranio.com/greece/adt/1613434/?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the absolute newbie questions.

Grixm

Beitrag von Grixm » Mo 30 Jul, 2018 1:56 pm

Strelok401 hat geschrieben:
Fr 27 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm
Nice piece of kit, I have a couple questions about it though :
-Can it be used for "small" laser shows, for parties with less than 30 people? Doing laser shows isn't my job, I'd just like to be able to do that in my future holiday house should I host a party for my family. More precisely, I'm planning to buy said house in Greece this autumn or winter, and my son's wedding will be next year, so...
-If I got things right, you control it from a PC. Is it safe if I do it from afar (as in, my son and his friends are at the house while I'm somewhere else) through a PC remote control program like Teamviewer?
-Would laser shows even be a safe thing to do in the main room of that house : https://tranio.com/greece/adt/1613434/?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the absolute newbie questions.
Yes it can do all of those things and safely, it mostly depends on what software you use rather than hardware. The Helios supports many show programs such as HE-Laserscan, LaserShowXpress, Spaghetti, LaserShowGen, etc. and most have built-in safety features like preventing beams from entering a certain area.

However I am not sure it is a very good idea, or legal, to do shows for a live audience without having experience and certifications for laser displays. You should probably talk to someone into lasers in your country that knows more.

Strelok401
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: ... a laser pointer to annoy the cat?

Beitrag von Strelok401 » Mo 30 Jul, 2018 4:56 pm

Roger, thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. Safety was one of my big concerns as well, and I'd rather favor it over the cool factor.

TimChan2k
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Ja, eine Nova 24

Beitrag von TimChan2k » Do 08 Nov, 2018 2:48 pm

A helios is a great choice imo. Just make sure to get rpoper program to run it with. That alone can make a big difference. it is not always the hardware but the software. Just get yourself some information on the web and try some stuff and you will lean pretty quick.

Claude
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: Laser RVB ilsa 3w dac ishow

Beitrag von Claude » Mi 16 Feb, 2022 7:34 pm

Bonjour Grixm, j'essaie de vous résumer ma demande : par le passé, je disposais d'un laser RGB de 500 mW avec des scans de 15kps et une dac Ishow... N'étant pas très content de la dac ishow, j'avais acheté une dac Pangolin...et les résultats de projection étaient bien meilleurs qu'avec la Dac Ishow... J'ai perdu ce matériel, mais j'ai racheté un 'laser RVB ilda de 3W et 20kps... Je l'ai évidemment essayé avec la dac ishow que je n'ai pas perdu, et le résultat est bien inférieur qu'avec la Dac pangolin...pensez vous que votre dac Helios avec votre logiciel feront mieux que ma dac ishow ? Autre question, dans le logiciel ishow, on peut régler les scans jusqu'à 45000 kps... Mais si les scans sont limités à 20000, y'a t'il des risques de les abîmer ? Désolé pour toutes ces questions...je sais qu'il serait préférable que j'achète un laser de très grande qualité et beaucoup plus cher, mais je n'ai pas les moyens... J'espère vous lire le plus rapidement possible pour pouvoir me décider dans mon achat... cordialement

kaurjenni51
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: NO, I don't have any laser equipment.

Beitrag von kaurjenni51 » Di 13 Dez, 2022 9:37 am

I read about Helios Laser DAC on your website but when I used it to transfer my importance file of document required for rent agreement then I got a issue while using it so I come to your website again to solve this problem.

Antworten

Zurück zu „General general do-it-yourself-projects“