focus / collimate

Usage, assemblance and modifications of solid-state and diode-lasers (not: laserpointers)
Antworten
ludo75
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: yes

focus / collimate

Beitrag von ludo75 » Do 19 Okt, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi all.

I'd like to focus a 130W laser to a small spot and then collimate it, any suggestions!?

aka
I manage to break a dilas 130W, bought another one and then used to lenses inside the broken one to collimate the "new one" and now I've got a 5-8 mm spot that makes glass of concrete / stone at 2,5 meters and burns wood into flames in microseconds.... but that's not enough for me.
I'd like to punch holes in metal at any distance and burn wood even faster, the thing is; i'd very much like to cut stumps so i can pull them from the ground and then toy around (not directed upwards though, but more downwards to earth)
How do i make this happen?

Kind regards

VDX
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: ... diverse Laser für die Materialbearbeitung

weitere Hobbies: - CNC-Fräsen, 3D-Scannen, 3D-Drucken, Laserbearbeitung, Mikrotechnik ...

Re: focus / collimate

Beitrag von VDX » Fr 20 Okt, 2017 12:18 am

... wait - is this the next evolving step of "burning laser-pointer"? :shock:

What's your intention - and even more essential - your background?

Viktor
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426 -- Facebook-Gruppe - https://www.facebook.com/groups/383822522290730
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

ludo75

Beitrag von ludo75 » Fr 20 Okt, 2017 9:33 pm

Yes, next step of "burning laser-pointer"
Intents is to cut roots of tree stumps to bend them up from the dirt.
My background?

Born in a small town growing up with my mother and two sisters, went to school and learned my abc, had few freinds, one was from south korea, if i stop there at the age of 7 for a while, and consider i'm 42 by now, what else do you like to hear?

VDX
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: ... diverse Laser für die Materialbearbeitung

weitere Hobbies: - CNC-Fräsen, 3D-Scannen, 3D-Drucken, Laserbearbeitung, Mikrotechnik ...

Beitrag von VDX » Fr 20 Okt, 2017 10:15 pm

... if you plan to use this type of laser outside of a safe or "shielded" area, then think twice!

In most countries using of a laser with more than some Milliwatts outside of a controlled/safe area is prohibited ... and this for some good reasons!

Especially, as this high power IR-diodes emits a beam, which is totally invisible to the eye -- so it's even more critical ...

Viktor
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426 -- Facebook-Gruppe - https://www.facebook.com/groups/383822522290730
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Death
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: CO² Laser
YAG Laser
Dioden Laser

Beitrag von Death » Sa 21 Okt, 2017 7:52 am

My english is not the best...

It´s not only the power of the Laserdiode.

There will be more things for metallcut as a lonely laserdiode.

Modern laser that can do this, works with pulse frequency, fiberglas and good optics for Work in near distance, not in ten or twenthy meters. We speak about 5-50 centimeters

the pure beamspot of the diode is not powerful enough to do this in more distance

The US Army or the NASA have lasers to burn holes in metall in any distance.... :wink: but they need more power as from a little powersuply and a other lasertyp to do this :D

It is a nice Idea, but very very dangerous.

You must protect yourself and protect every other people in the near/middle range. With this high power diode you must use special clothes, cover the skin and very good laserglasses.

The Laserlight will be reactions with all unprotectet points of your body. Very very dangerous.

Be sure and be warned for that, what you will do. Eyes will be destroyed in milliseconds.

Michael

ludo75

Beitrag von ludo75 » Mo 23 Okt, 2017 10:08 pm

Well Michael.

No one has yet told me what kind of lenses to use...
With a "neutralising" lens taken from a broken "same-type" i can collimate to a 5-8mm spot
With an aspheric condenser lens i burn a blazing hole thru a tin-can and even more spectacular a wooden stick, it lookes like plasma is created at the "spot"...
and i would very much like to get as close as possible to that spot and the collimate it so it can melt metal or cut wood at 100cm.

Protection gear i've got is; clothing, welding-glasses and €250 piece of eye ware from thorlabs.
I even got a fire extinguisher.

Protection for where the spot is projected i made a concrete plate which has a few glass-spots right now.

So tell me son, how do i put my world on fire (without hurting anyone along the way, off course)

ludo75

Beitrag von ludo75 » Di 24 Okt, 2017 12:43 am

Let me be more specific with the info:
Dilas M1F2S22-976.2-130C-IS29.2M3

I removed the fibre-attachment gear and placed:
https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cf ... r=ACL2520U
And it melts stone, concrete and metal at a distance of 50mm or so, fine but the flame-output will damage the lens.

Then i broke one of the M1F2S22 (to much thermal) and took the collimating lens inside it it and placed it 13mm away from the output of the "new" on (without the fibre attachment) and got aprox. 8mm in diameter of concrete melting beam.
HOW do i make it more narrow with lenses?
https://youtu.be/MR0KUWRKqUk

Death
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: CO² Laser
YAG Laser
Dioden Laser

Beitrag von Death » Mi 25 Okt, 2017 5:10 am

Ah ok.

I see on Ebay one of them. Nice one. I see that the Fibrepart has a cooling Part with Airpressure.

Ebay

The critical part is Heat and dust. Heat can destroy the lens and dust ( every dust ) laying on the lense, can build heatpoint on the lense and will destroy it.

I think ( it can be wrong, i´am not sure ) is to use a telescop for the beam. Co² Laser use this for long beam parts.

you must wait, what Viktor ( vdx ) tells you. He work more with diode´s then me.

But i think too, it´s an error to remove the fibre part, it´s finer to work with.

:D

ekkard
Do you already have Laser-Equipment?: 1 Kopf

Beitrag von ekkard » Fr 15 Dez, 2017 8:30 pm

What you are doing with the lenses described is the maximum you can achieve. You will never achieve burning holes in wood or metal at a distance of more than some centimetres. Any beam will diverge a little bit after a focus, may it be positioned inside the laser or in front of it outside. You saw already that lenses are a "limiting factor". A bit of fat or dirt - and the laser power will distroy them.
And you can not do more as with a heated wire by 130W. Trying to cut roots will not work.

The thermal capacity of wood or metal requires a good focusing, which is not reachable at meter-distances. May be, you can use (clean, long) focusing mirrors but must newly adjust for any different distance - specially making holes. I think, wet wooden stumps will resist. They take too much power to be cut. May be you can make holes some millimetres in depth. But thereafter the outer part of the hole works like an aperture (cutting away a part of the radiation).
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ekkard

Antworten

Zurück zu „Solid-state laser“